Ok, so it’s already the middle of July and I’m going to tell you about the best cult sunscreens you’ve never heard of. Where was this in June you ask? It was in my head, and my head was at my desk under some fluorescent light. It was only a couple weeks ago that I ventured into the sun and it didn’t go that well, to be honest, hence this research … which I based on a list that my aunt-in-law gave me from the Harvard Vanguard Derm Dept.
So, if you’ve already been burned by your sunscreen choice (I’m sure no one has ever used that pun before …) look no further:
1. Ocean Potion Zinc Oxide Face Potion Clear Zinc 45 ($3.20) - The long-lasting cult favorite of surfers, this is a great formula if you hate that pale-ing out effect many facial sunscreens have (it’s completely clear). It’s also great for backs of hands (I’m obsessed with this area; it really shows your age), ears, collarbones (I get heat rashes on my collarbone) etc.
2. Baby Blanket Faces Sunscreen SPF 45 ($5.99) - I have a horrible problem with products stinging my eyes, and I pretty much ruined an entire vacation day recently because I put body sunscreen on my face and it got in my eyes. This is sting-free, light and great for sensitive skin.
3. Total Block COTZ SPF 58 ($19.99) - This is described by Harvard Vanguard as “the best invisible, weightless, oil-free, scentless, complete coverage, chemical-free, sting-free, waterproof facial sunscreen.” Alrighty then.
4. Hawaiian Tropic Sensitive Skin Stick SPF 50 ($4.79) - I love this for touch ups on days when we’re out and about or boating. It’s great for refreshing coverage on your face and hands or for swiping on a wily kid.
5. Neova DNA Damage Control SILC Sheer SPF40 ($42.90) - If you’re looking for a great everyday sunscreen/tinted moisturizer, or just want to look good at the beach, this is a highly-recommended tinted, slightly pearlized mineral sunscreen that absorbs beautifully and provides excellent protection.
PS There’s some summer sale stuff on my new style tumblr, Lady.
Image: Kristen-Lee Moolman