Something about perfectly stick straight hair is just … sexy. A serious confidence/ego booster, when you’re in the mood for it (vs. those sexy curls, beachy waves … and all the other flavors in the candy shop of looks).
The key to achieving perfect straightness is having the right tool. Nothing is more infuriating than a straightener that can’t do its one job without a ton of work on our part. Finding the balance between perfectly straight and still having intact-and-un-fried hair is the challenge - because yes we can make it straight, but at the end of the day we’d like to keep the hair on our heads, yeah?
A not so little gift came across my desk the other day, it is called the Ferrum Professional Styler. (Great hard two piece box - awesome typography. Points for packaging.) This is one of the only flat irons I’ve used that authentically addresses two concerns: 1) Straightness (well duh) and 2) Damage Control. I say authentically addresses because you can see that it has one ceramic plate, and one non-heated fabric plate. This balance of heated and non-heated is put in place to minimize damage, seal in moisture and make things super shiny.
After using it this morning - halleluiah it works! I had my doubts that having half the plate strength could achieve my desired straightness but it does - and adds mega shine.
Does This: Flat iron for hair that minimizes damage while creating beautifully straightened locks
Is This: Ferrum Professional Styler
Get This: Ferrum Iron dot com
Product c/o the brand, Image via
File under // Retailer Beauty Round Up
What’s not to love about Urban Outfitters? All those lose fitting floral dresses + Chuck Taylor’s + beaded hair pieces of sorts + hilarious books..
Okay, never mind the books. Has anyone else noticed that their beauty section is um - amazing recently?
Here are five cultish pulls that are worth taking a glimpse of (if not purchasing) the next time you are in your neighborhood UO.
1. EVO Hair Care - With clever names like “the therapist,” “root canal,” “easy tiger” and “shape vixen,” these products are difficult to walk by without reading. EVO has an extensive hair care line filled with great products that address your hair care needs in a laughably creative way.
Find them in stores at Urban Outfitters or online at Look Fantstic | Most products $29.95 - $32
2. Mizon Good Night White Sleeping Mask - You probably haven’t heard of them until now, and for good reason - they’re actually a Korean skin care line. Of course Urban was cool enough to recruit Mizon for their store and embrace the unknown characters on the packaging. The Good Night Sleep Mask works wonders while you dream, turning you into quite literally a sleeping beauty.
Find this at Urban Outfitters or Urbanoutfitters.com | $24 for larger size - tube picture above sold out online!
3. Lime Crime Lipsticks - yes the colors are brilliant and yes there is a holographic unicorn adhered to the cake-pop-purple tube. Need I say more?
Find these at Urban Outfitter or Urbanoutfitters.com | $18
4. Cocooil - Coconut oil is everything. But you beauties already knew that. This particular genre of Cocooil includes a few additional fruit fueled oils like apricot and grape, making it a turbo charged version of traditional coconut oil that you really should consider putting all over your body, because your skin/face/hair will love it that much.
Find this in stores at Urban Outfitters of Urbanoutfitters.com | $25
5. 3D Ampoule Face Masks - if you find traditional mud masks to be a complete bore, pick up one of these funky masks and I guarantee you will be amused. Unlike a mud mask, expect to stay put throughout the duration of the masking process. Or go to a costume party as a ghost/mask face. Your choice.
Find these at Urban Outfitters or Urbanoutfitters.com | $5
Products from Urban Outfitters, Image via
Hello from the land of finally-pretty-much-summer, newly blond(er) hair, and 90’s side swoop, where I am writing to tell you about the shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in treatment that fell from heaven onto my desk (into my shower) a few weeks ago and that I have been addicted to since.
If you know Neutrogena haircare like I do - for their cult products (like this and this) - wakey wakey, because these are the new ones. The Triple Repair system includes shampoo, conditioner and leave-in treatment and is clinically proven to make hair up to 3x stronger after one use.
But so what if the product experience isn’t great, right? The reason I’m rebuying these with my own money is because the shampoo is super thick and lather-y but doesn’t leave that stripped feeling, and the conditioner is weirdly deeply moisturizing and light at the same time. I know this is going to sound corny but this is a true story - I woke up the next morning after using this for the first time (I take showers at night, I am strange) and I literally didn’t understand why my hair was so good, I was trying to remember if I had gotten a blow out the day before. So I’m just saying. When you know, you know.
I also used all 3 as a lead-up to having my hair lightened, kind of like a training system for stronger hair : )
If you have hair, I recommend this, but if you have fine hair like mine that really needs moisture but *cannot* handle haircare that weighs it down, I co-sign a year’s supply.
Does This: Your new affordable hair love system, packed with proteins that deposit strength where your hair needs it, rich conditioners to protect and smooth hair, and peptides - which are nourishing amino acids, but who cares, they just make you look pretty
Is This: Neutrogena Triple Repair Sytem
Get This: Your local drugstore, chain store, or here
Price: $6.99 each
Product c/o Neutrogena; created in partnership with Refinery 29
When it comes to style, I usually shy away from pastels. Maybe it’s because I’m craving winter/sick of black/want to resemble a flower but I’ve been really attracted to pastels recently.
Which brings me to this pressed powder…
SO pretty. Right? I almost don’t even care what it does - I just want it around so that I can look at it! Of course, Jane Cosmetics did not (just) make this powder as a pastel statement for your makeup bag, it is a makeup essential.
Remember the first time someone told you you correct red spots with green and you looked at them like “huh?” - you know where this is going. This pastel palette is actually a combination of colors that work together to even your skin tone before putting on make up. Take your largest fluffiest brush, mix it around the, and puff over clean skin.
The colors blend together to even out the complexion of your skin and provide a beautiful mattified canvas for you to then apply coverage.
Does This: Evens out skin tone and complexion
Is This: Jane Multi-Colored Color Correcting Powder
Get This: Ulta
Product c/o the brand, Image via Into the Gloss
ATTN: WE HAVE A SERIOUSLY AWESOME GIVEAWAY TODAY
oh and, happy friday :)
Let’s not beat around the bush. I’ll get right to it.
Kerastase - who wouldn’t want an entire hair wardrobe of this line? Salons love them, boutiques loves them, and I stalk them relentlessly during NYFW to see what types of fashionable-do’s they are sending down the runway. To celebrate the launch of the Elixir Ultime 24-Carat Haircare Collection - their newest collection of beautifying treatment oils (above) - we are giving away four piece sets of the entire collection to 10 of you. What, ten? YES THAT’S RIGHT TEN!
Each winner (count it -10) will receive a Sublime Cleansing Oil, Masque, Creme Fine, and Elixir Ultime Oil - valued at $205. All you have to do to enter to win this giveaway-ultime, is follow the simple steps below. Best of luck to you, and your hair!
1. Do ONE of the following — follow Cult of Pretty on Bloglovin’ OR follow Cult of Pretty from your Tumblr account OR subscribe via email. Then Like or Follow Kerastase Paris (just in case you don’t already).
2. Leave a DISQUIS comment below [click through if you are reading this post in your Tumblr feed] and tell us which new Kerastase product you are most wanting to try. I always love a masque. NOTE: Please don’t comment in the ‘Ask Me Anything’ or ‘Fan Note’ area of Tumblr. If you do we will not see your comment and not be able to enter you into the contest! — Please everyone click through and leave a comment on Cult of Pretty itself.
3. You must be 18 or older to enter. If you happen to be under the legal age of 18 you can have someone else enter for you. Just remember that the product will be sent to their attention.
4. This giveaway is for US Residents only - unfortunately we are unable to ship outside of the USA. Sorry!
Contest ends next Friday May 2nd at 11:59PM. NOTE: If you subscribe or follow to enter, you must still be subscribed or following at the time of the drawing to win. Multiple comments do not increase your chances of winning.
Products c/o the brand, Image via We Heart It
The best beauty products you've never heard of.
I do product development and innovation in the beauty industry. From drugstore to department store to there-is-no-store, these are my favorite cult beauty products.
Need product advice? Feel free to ASK ME ANYTHING.